Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Few Words from the President-Happy Birthday George Harrison

Good Morning to Everyone!

I hope your day is starting well, in a manner that you hoped!

Last night the President spoke and while his message was a lot about a lot of things, he reminded you straight out "We are NOT a Nation of quitters!".

Now, I am not going into a lot of politics, at least not right now. I have my own beliefs. I also know that most of the rhetoric out there is just this side of garbage and it defies logic--on both sides of the aisle. But those simple words from the President have taken us past simple hope that we had. Hope that it was all going to be okay to an elevated level, a battle cry of sorts, a "Go Get 'Em!" as we work together to make it all right.

Most of the back and forth of the two parties overall, makes me crazy. I consider myself a relatively well informed person and lately I feel as if I should close my eyes, cover my ears and sing la-la-la-la until they all finish speaking. It's just too crazy!

Take Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana. He gave the Republican response to the President's speech. Here is the quote that disturbs me the most:

"While some of the projects in the bill make sense, their legislation is larded with wasteful spending. It includes $300 million to buy new cars for the government, $8 billion for high-speed rail projects, such as a magnetic levitation line from Las Vegas to Disneyland (NYSE:DCQ) (NYSE:DIS) , and $140 million for something called volcano monitoring."

What's wrong with these things? As long as the cars are Ford, Chevy or Chrysler and it keeps people on the assembly line employed, what's wrong? Do you know that a spin off of GM/Chevrolet is a company called Delphi. They make a lot of parts for GM vehicles, right here in America. More cars, more jobs! The high speed rail system, if it constructed by Americans with materials from here, keeping people employed, what is the problem? BTW, People commute from different parts of California to Las Vegas, so if we had a quicker fuel efficient system to get them there, what is the problem? And the volcanoes, well scientists need jobs too. I am sure they have bills to pay!

Also note to Bobby Jindal, as long as parts of your state still look like a hurricane hit it almost 4 years ago don't shoot your political star up in the national universe. It doesn't belong there and it is an insult to the people of your state that just put you in office in 2008! Now to poke gentle fun you must take a look at this Huffington Post piece about him..it made me laugh out loud!


Now onto my favorite part of the day...My Birthday Shout Out!

Happy Birthday to the late George Harrison, who would have been 66 this year. They called him the quiet Beatle. I did not realize until recently that he was quite a song write. I knew of the song "My Sweet Lord" and the whole lawsuit thing with the Chiffons, but I did not realize he wrote a lot of Beatles tunes including "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". The lyrics:

I look at the world and I notice it's turning
While my guitar gently weeps
With every mistake we must surely be learning
Still my guitar gently weeps

So simple yet so deep. Thank you George!

So today, I leave you with a video of this very song!






Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts and comments!
Julie