Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!!

I am trying to recollect when Earth Day first showed up on my personal radar. I was born in 1964, so its very creation occurred after I did. But I do not recall anything in school the way there is now. (But then again I went to public school in the city...can you say lead paint?). I think the first real memory of it meaning something to me was in 1990. I worked for McD's and we gave away mini pine trees to all that bought a kid's meal or something like that.

I don't think I became really aware until my kids went to school. Awareness explosion is more like it! The notes home, giving us clues how to be better citizens of the Earth. My kid's mini lectures on what we should be doing to conserve. I have a 6th grader, a 4th grader and a preschooler. And you would think that after 12 years combined Earth Conservation Education between my older two, they could figure how to turn off their lights or DVD players on a consistent basis!

Okay, so we are all into this and I am quite frankly enjoying it. Knowing that we are doing something to help always makes you feel good! And it really is so important. I reuse a lot of things, craft with my cardboard and most of my light bulbs are the funky, twirly shaped ones. We could recycle more and we will.

The chuckle I had about Earth Day is our President. And I will begin all this by saying that I like our President. I voted for him and I believe he is trying. Anyway today on the Earth Day our President is flying to Iowa to give a speech.

Now I am not privy to all the info, but the group of people and the effort it takes to get the President somewhere and keep him safe wouldn't that cause a huge carbon footprint? Am I missing something?

I know that he is scheduled to visit factories and give speeches, but in light of this very day, would it not be better to say make use of technology and have the speeches deliver via close circuit or even Skype? (It's good enough for Oprah!)

I don't know, I just find it so contradictory in this particular case.

So that is all for now. Happy Earth Day. Love the Earth. Go pick up some garbage and plant something!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts and comments!
Julie